The Great List

It's a list of Great Things!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Great Lines (that I can think of off the top of my head) from Movies

James and Carlos suggested I add a great list of great movie quotations, something the AFI did a couple of years back. But then we realized it was really hard. There are many great movies out there with great lines, and there are also many awful movies with great lines.

Therefore, I bring you Great Lines (that I can think of right now off the top of my head) from Movies. I'll add more later, I'm sure, when I think of more off the top of my head.


Great Lines

  • "I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane." - The first line ever written by the tubal entity that is teh Internets. The movies...they've become self-aware!
  • Any line from Casablanca. - Damn that movie with it's spectacular dialogue. Here, I'll put one down just so you know, and to make it fun I'll pick one that you wouldn't think of: "What watch?"
  • "Get off my plane." (Air Force One) - Silly Harrison Ford.
  • "Nobody's perfect." (Some Like It Hot) - Possibly the best final line to any movie ever.
  • "I want everything I've ever seen in the movies!" (The Producers) - Man, that scene is glorious.
  • "Get your stinking hands off me, you damn dirty ape." (Planet of the...) - I love Planet of the Apes. Much fun.
  • "All I have to do is scream." (Last Crusade) - Many good lines from that movie, but I picked this one.
  • "I know." (Empire Strikes Back) - Funny thing is, if anyone said this in real life, Leia woulda slapped 'em.
  • "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." (Godfather) - Funny thing is, in real life, any Italians I know (including myself) would do the same.
  • "As God as my witness, I'll never go hungry again!" (Gone With the Wind) - Okay, I think this movie is overrated, but this line and scene are quite powerful. Also: "I don' know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies!"
  • "A toast to my big brother, George, the richest man in town." (It's a Wonderful Life) - *sniff*
  • "Wherever there's a fight, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beating up a guy, I'll be there." (Grapes of Wrath) - Yeah! Fight the man! (ps: damn commies ;)
  • Many, many lines from The Princess Bride. I'll go with "As you wish," for sentimentality's sake.
  • "Yo, Adrian!" (Rocky) - aka "yro ehdrien!" My family is also particularly fond of "Retards love the zoo." But that's not PC anymore.
  • "Your father's passin." (To Kill a Mockingbird) - Love that Atticus Finch.
  • "Put it up to eleven." (Spinal Tap) - Heh.
  • "I am big. It's the pictures that got small." (Sunset Blvd.) - Crazy lady.
  • "Hey you GUUUYYS!" (Goonies) - Love that movie.



Good Lines


  • "You truly are the king of kings." (Ben-Hur): Okay, I haven't actually SEEN all of Ben-Hur yet (I know, I know...I've just blown it), but Carlos and I have been quoting this one all week, so there you go.
  • "I'm gonna go find my dog." (Firewall): I haven't seen this movie, either, but just the thought of Harrison Ford saying it the way he says "Get off my plane" is hilarious enough.
  • "Roger, Roger." (Airplane): Heh. Funny.
  • "My heat. My Guatemalanness." (The Birdcage) - Heh. Guatamalans.
  • "The last time I was inside a woman was when I visited the Statue of Liberty." (Crimes and Misdemeanors) - One of Woody Allen's not-comedies still has funny in it.
  • "That's not ENTIRELY accurate, sir." (Independence Day) - Okay, there are many ridiculous lines in that movie, but that's the one I picked today.
  • "It's a trap!" (Return of the Jedi) - Heh. Calamari.
  • "I really have nothing to say, but I want to say it all the same." (8 1/2) - Damn writers :)
  • "A shrubbery!" (Holy Grail) - Damn Knights Who Say Ni :)
  • "Just keep swimming." (Finding Nemo) - Also anything Dori says in whale, but I don't know how to spell it. Also: "The bubbles, the bubbles!"
  • "Does he look like a bitch?" (Pulp Fiction) - Ah, Sammy.
  • "If you build it, he will come." (Field of Dreams) - M. Night Shyamalan, pay attention. Supernatural twists of fate only work when they have emotion behind them.
  • "By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Warvan, you will be avenged." (Galaxy Quest) - Mmm, Alan Rickmanilicious.
  • "Roll, roll, roll in ze hay!" (Young Frankenstein) - Well, that's my favorite line, but there are others. "Abby Normal?"
  • "I like to watch." (Being There) - I am officially the only one in the world who got the Being There joke in Arrested Development. How sad...
  • "FREEEDOOMMMMMMMM!" (Braveheart) - What a dick :)
  • "Gandhiji! Gandhiji!" (Gandhi, amazingly enough) - I could chant that all day.
  • "Do you ever think about the things you do think about?" (Inherit the Wind) - Funny how the trial was in the 20's, the movie was in the 60's, and still we're not sure about evolution.
  • "Elaaiinnne!" (The Graduate) - Yes, there are other great lines in this movie, but that's the one I quote a lot.
  • "Listen! Don't listen to me: listen." (The Last Unicorn) - Okay, there are many, many great lines in this movie, but it's kind of cheating because those come from the book. Oh well.
  • "I'm Spartacus." (guess.) - No, I am.
  • "Oh, Moses. Moses." (Ten Commandments) - Silly Egyptians.
  • "I'll be back." (Terminator) - It's funny, cause he was.
  • "Greed is good." (Wall Street) - If only the characters weren't named Gekko and Fox... Yeesh.
  • "How's it gonna end, John?" (John Q) - That movie wasn't as nearly bad-good as it could have been.
I'll do more, someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home