The Great List

It's a list of Great Things!

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Great Long-Ass Poems

I'm a nerd. Sue me.

Great Long-Ass (aka Epic or long enough to be Epic) Poems

  • The Canterbury Tales: Definition of genius. Very funny, very clever. I've read it, like, six times now (nerd), and it gets better every time. And it's fun to freak people out by chanting the Middle English!
  • Paradise Lost: What's more to say? Satan's a hottie.
Good Long-Ass Poems

  • Beowulf: I don't really see the point of Beowulf, but since when did entertainment need to have a purpose?
  • The Divine Comedy: Well, it's kind of overrated, I think. Yeah, take that, Dante! Who's putting themselves on a pedastal with the other great epic writers now?
  • The Odyssey: Yeah, Odysseus is a dick. But ain't it a fun romp?
Epic Poems I've Only Read Pieces of, But They Seem Pretty Decent

  • The Epic of Gilgamesh: One day I'll read the whole damn thing in order. Well, actually, I think that's impossible since some pieces are all missing and crap. Oh well. I like Enkidu.
  • The Iliad: Yay, more dickish Greek men killing one another!
(and those I totally haven't read but should have and let's not mention it lest i seem like a bad former english major:
The Aeneid, The Ring Cycle, The Ramayana. Yeah, oops...)


Epic Poems That Are Teh Suck

  • The Faerie Queene: Come on. Who's with me? Friggin Spenser...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home